Model #: vlb
Virtual Light Booth
The Virtual Light Booth provides an unparalleled ability to accurately compare physical and digital material samples, streamlining the design approval process and accelerating time to market.
Immersive 3D Visualization Environment for Evaluating Material Appearance
As companies transition to digital manufacturing processes, there is a growing need for physically precise virtual designs that represent the true appearance of the final product. To date, CAD and rendering software solutions have been limited in their ability to visualize physical appearance characteristics such as texture, gloss, transparency and opacity. The Total Appearance Capture Ecosystem and Virtual Light Booth (VLB) make it possible to capture and verify the true appearance of a material in a digital environment.
The Virtual Light Booth enables accurate, side-by-side visualization and comparison of 3D digital material renderings with physical material samples under the exact same perceptual conditions – from illumination to contextual to observational factors. With the VLB, design teams can easily vary these conditions to see changes in material performance. As a result, designers can make more informed material selections and reduce approval times and improve product quality.
- Compare digital material samples directly with physical materials. Integrated camera-based sensors, spectrophotometers and colorimeters, accurately visualize and evaluate materials, ensure material consistency for quality assurance.
- Assess samples under accurate lighting conditions. Ambient light measurement compensates for lighting around the VLB, generating accurate controlled lighting conditions in any environment. This frees the user to adjust, view and compare digital and physical samples under controlled spot and diffuse lighting conditions.
- View from multiple angles. Motion and facial tracking adjusts the virtual representation as a person’s viewing angle changes, ensuring accurate evaluation of materials that use special-effect pigments—whose color and appearance change based on the viewing angle.
Total Appearance Capture Ecosystem
The TAC™ Ecosystem is an award-winning appearance solution that enables an unmatched level of realism and efficiency in digital material capture and 3D design. Accurately and consistently share material appearance information across every step of the product development process to reduce design approval cycles and accelerate time to market.
"To turn the vision of a fully automated Car-Configurator process into reality, TAC is essential. X Rite's solution enables us to reach true-to-life quality images to replicate highlights in a car's paint job." - Dr. Markus Denny, Head of Digital Image Factory
"At the core of our material process is a flexible solution for easily creating, processing and providing virtual materials easily in a multitude of different systems with the ultimate level of realistic depiction. Solutions from our partner X-Rite help us to accomplish this task." - Jan Pflüger, Digital Retail / After Sales IT Solutions
You Might Also Like
Appearance Exchange Format (AxF™)
AxF is a vendor-neutral file format that digitally stores and shares a material’s appearance properties across PLM, CAD and rendering applications.
PANTORA™ Material Hub
PANTORA, a desktop application, is the controlling hub of the TAC ecosystem. It allows users to store, manage, view and edit digitally captured materials and to exchange these materials, via a vendor neutral Appearance Exchange (AxF) file format.
The TAC7 scanner captures and stores color, texture, gloss and other surface appearance characteristics of physical material samples.
- From Physical to Digital: X-Rite Material Scanning for 3D Rendering in KeyShot | X-Rite Webinar
- Industry 4.0: Why Consistent Color and Appearance are More Important Than Ever
- Introduction to Total Appearance Capture Scanner (TAC7) and Services
- Introducing the Virtual Light Booth
- How to Leverage Measured Materials in 3D Visualization | X-Rite
- How to Create a Digital Material Library
News and Events
PI Apparel Europe 2019 is the most innovative gathering for the fashion, apparel and footwear industry, bringing advanced technologies to beautiful Lake Maggiore. Come visit X-Rite booth to see a live demo of the Total Appearance Capture Ecosystem.
Come and listen to our Color and Appearance Presentation “Review of computer generated imaging for materials containing flake effect pigments” presented by Tobias Rausch, Global Product Manager Appearance Capture of X-Rite, on October, 2 at 10:00 am.