Fundamentals Series FOCA & FIQC
Sign up for this interactive, two-day learning experience.
On day one, develop a solid understanding of the numbers of color in our "Fundamentals of Color and Appearance" seminar. Put your new knowledge into action on day two in our "Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Quality Control" hands-on workshop.
Please refer to individual pages for more details:
Day 1: "Fundamentals of Color and Appearance" seminar.
Day 2: "Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Quality Control" hands-on workshop.
If you are not completely satisfied with an X-Rite seminar, we will provide you with a training voucher to attend another future seminar.
21 days prior to event date 100% refund, 14 days prior to event date 50% refund, less than 14 days no refund will be given.
Who Should Attend?
This two day course requires basic color theory knowledge. It will address color control for a variety of industries including retail and apparel brands, business and consumer electronics, automotive, packaging and their related industries in plastics, coatings and textile manufacturing.
This seminar is designed for:
- Quality Control & Assurance Professionals
- Lab Technicians
- Parts Suppliers
- Manufacturing Specifiers
- Anyone who evaluates or approves color
If you’re involved in any of these industries, you can’t miss this seminar.
Print, Packaging, and Industrial: ink, dyes, paper, plastics, textiles
Food & Food Packaging
Health & Beauty
Our Fundamentals Training Series combines two great training courses. This workshop is a response to customer demand for a full day of color basics training, followed by a second day of hands-on demonstrations that allow customers to put what they have learned to use.
Our team of speakers and instructors are considered to be industry leaders and have accumulated years of hands-on practical experience and expertise in their respective fields. You’ll learn from experts in areas such as color management, printing, textiles, plastics and more.
After the Seminar
After you’ve attended a seminar, you are encouraged to continue contacting us through your My X-Rite account for additional information or answers to technical questions. Our team will promptly respond to all requests.
Free Munsell Interactive Learning Kit
As part of the seminar tour, all attendees will receive the Munsell Interactive Learning Kit free of charge.
Exclusive Fundamental Training Books
All seminar attendees will also receive X-Rite’s exclusive Fundamentals of Color and Appearance Book and the Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Quality Control Book. These industry acknowledged publications provides a logical and practical approach to solving color and appearance issues related to industrial applications.
Product Drawings & Discounts
Attendees will be entered into a sweepstake to win one of the following: Judge QC light booth, FM Munsell Hue Test, or a copy of software (ColorMaster QAII, Color iQC Professional, or X-Color QC). Participants will also receive a 10% discount voucher that is valid until December 31, 2017. The voucher cannot exceed $500.00 off a purchase.
Day 1: Fundamentals of Color and Appearance (FOCA)
Introduction to Color and Appearance:
- The science of color and appearance
- The color models – additive, subtractive, and mixed
- How the eye works; including testing color vision and deficiencies
- Communicating color information
- Understanding the CIE system of color
- Interpreting spectral reflectance
- Quantifying light sources, color temperatures and illuminants
- The difference between colorimeters and spectrophotometers
- Light sources and UV in instruments
- Viewing angles, sphere, and diffraction grating
- Instrument repeatability and reproducibility
Visual Quality Control:
- Visual and instrumental color assessment
- Getting the right viewing conditions and light source
- Understanding metamerism
Instrumental Quality Control:
- Deploying enterprise-wide color management and color policies
- Physical and numerical standards
- Pass/fail analysis
- Limitations of color measurement systems
Day Two: Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Quality Control (FIQC)
- Differences between how a 45/0 and sphere take measurements
- When to use a handheld, benchtop, and/or non-contact instrument
- General measurement modes (RFL/ TRA, SCI/SCE, UVC/UVEx, etc.)
- Importance of certification and good calibration
- Samples that should or should not be measured
- Sample preparation for industry specific measurements
- Sample presentation for industry specific mounting
Interpreting Color Data and Tolerances:
- General color difference numbers (DL*,Da*,Db* or DL*, DC*, Dh)
- General color graphics, such as color space and color trend plots
- Individual colorimetric tolerances
- Single number tolerances
Visual vs. Numerical:
- Do the numbers agree with your eyes?
- Can you perceive a difference at DE of 0.5, 1.0 or higher?
Archiving Your Data:
- Storing standards and trials for posterity
- Retrieving stored data for evaluation
- Searching your database
This is a hands-on workshop with X-Rite instrumentation and software.
Grand Rapids, MI
Courtyard Nashville Downtown
170 4th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37219
San Francisco, CA
A block of guest rooms are reserved at this hotel for your convenience. Mention “X-Rite PANTONE Fundamentals” to book under the room block rate.